You can’t do it alone.


One of the most beneficial things that helped me through my recovery from depression was and still is my friends. I have to say that if it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t have made it through my time in hospital and I wouldn’t have been motivated to work hard to get through the hardest part of my depression. I must say that I consider myself lucky to have the support of my friends around me, not many people have the type of friends I have. I’m not just talking about my peers, I’m talking about all of the people who are always with me supporting me and encouraging me through the tough times but also through the good times.

I was thinking the other day of one of the most memorable memories of things my friends have done for me and well one of the things stuck out in my mind most occurred while I was in hospital. I felt that my friends thought I wasn’t being fed while I was in hospital. I remember a number of occasions where my dad would come to visit me with food sent in from my friends. I have to say I was fed well in the hospital but the fact that my friends felt the need to send me in cereal, sweets and juice made me feel loved and cared for.

I wouldn’t have made it through my four months in hospital if it wasn’t for my friends and all of the food they gave me, not to mention the food that was given to me by teachers. They stuck by me, supported me and gave me a helping hand along the way. They never let me down no matter how hard things got they stayed by my side. They think they know how grateful I am but nothing I ever do or ever say will show people how grateful I am.

Basically what I am saying is that people think that if they tell people they have a mental illness they will have no support or help along the way. That’s not the case, some people may not have all of the support I received but if you look hard enough you will be able to see that there is people there to support you, and more often than not it will turn out to be the people you least expect that will support you the most. People say I am a strong person from battling through my mental illness and coming out the other end but I think that my friends and family and all the people who have supported me through my dark days are the strong ones, they are much stronger than me and I don’t know what I would have done without them.

There is always someone there to help you along and support you, you are never alone. There will always be someone there to listen to you, you may not know who it is right now but when you are in a crisis you really do learn who your true friends are. So if there is one thing you take from this post is that no matter what, there is always someone there to support you, you may not realise it now but when you are in need of someone to support you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A prisoner of my own mind

An unexpected week

Shame