Talking is the key!


Talking is key

No matter where you are these days you always seem to hear about another person young or old taking their own life due to bullying. No matter who you are it is not right to bully. The bullies themselves can often have things going on in their own life's that drive them to bully but that doesn't make it ok, nothing makes it ok. Just the other day I heard of another young person taking their own life due to bullying in a town close to mine and it brought up a lot of memories and thoughts. I'm not going to write a big long post giving out about bullies and what they are doing to people but I am going to write a bit about people taking their own life's and bullying in general. 
I am one of the lucky one in society. 

From reading my blog many of you know that I have mental health issues and I have gone through the long process of help. Yes my recovery is long but that's just it, my recovery. I reached out for help and that is what I got. There is no quick fix for mental illness which is why my recovery has been so long and is still going to be long into the future. That's why people refer to it as the road to recovery. No matter how long it take to get "better" if you like it is much better than suffering in silence. I attempted suicide a number of times, I use to self-harm, I have depression, OCD and Anxiety but I am working thought these. I may not be better but one thing that I have learned throughout my 18 years of life is that a problem shared is a problem halved. It is much better working through a long road to recovery than never getting to the beginning of the road to recovery. All you have to do to get on that road to recover is Talk, Something so simple but it has the ability to save lives!!

My brother said something today that I think really sums everything up about suicide, mental health, bulling and society in general. 

“Everyday people lose the battle with mental health issues and take their life, which could be complete avoided if they just talked. It’s not their fault, it’s the society that we live in, a society that ignores mental health, a place where people don't understand its importance and think that it isn't important. Without our mental health in good order we are not equipped to take on the everyday battles in our life. It’s so important and we need to have the realize that it cannot be ignored and that we need to support one another and talk, we need to realize that by accepting and talking about mental health we will save life's! I am so proud of this initiative and am so extremely proud of the people behind it, it takes courage and strength to stand up and talk about this, without people like this our society would be a lot harder to live in! Just always remember when you’re feeling down, or you need help there will always be someone there to help you! I know how important it is to talk about what's going on with people, and I had to learn it the hard way, but let's all just try end this pointless tragic loss of life. It’s so simple just don't forget to talk, and always remember there is support out there for you! It’s such a small thing but it will help save lives, and will make society such a better place to live in."

I'm not sure if I can say anything else on this matter as I think Paul said it all there. We will never get rid of bullying but we can reduce it, we can’t get rid of mental illness but we can support those who are suffering and we can lend a hand to those suffering in silence, we can get rid of suicide but if we can reduce the numbers if we just TALK!! TALKING is really the key to good mental health and its time we became more aware of mental health.

I am not ashamed of whom I am and I am not ashamed of the fact that I have a mental illness. I will stand up and speak out about my experiences with only one aim which s to show people that by talking things will get better and that there is help out there for you. There is nothing to be ashamed of if you have a mental illness; it’s the same as any other illness. Just because you can’t see it doesn't mean it’s not real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A prisoner of my own mind

An unexpected week

Shame