Look good, feel good


Often when we are feeling low and have no motivation to do anything it can be hard to do simple everyday tasks. It can be hard to get up in the morning, get dressed, make dinner or even stay awake. Looks aren’t everything but sometimes making yourself look nice or putting on a bit of make-up can make you feel better. Yeah it may take some effort in getting up and putting on one of your favourite outfits or doing your hair in a way you like it most but it is believed that if you are happy with how you look on the outside you will feel better on the inside. I know myself that sometimes just wearing my favourite hoodie helps me when I’m low, not because I like it but because of how it makes me feel and how I feel about the way I look when I wear it.

My sister-in-law Amy has been with me every step of the way through my depression. One of the things that I admire most about her is how no matter how she is feeling she always puts effort into how she looks and well I have often noticed that when she is looking good she always has a spring in her step. I guess she in many ways has thought me the importance of looking after yourself and how it can help you remain positive and help improve your mental health. I guess what I am getting at here is that looks aren’t everything but sometimes doing something nice for yourself can go a long way to improving your mental health. Something simple like getting your nails done with the girls or going to get your make up done for free in town can help you when you are low.

Amy is passionate about make-up and has set up her own make up Facebook page and YouTube channel and I guess that is why I decided to write this post. I kind of connected the two together. Looking good can help you feel good and there is nothing wrong with taking some time out during the day to make yourself look good. After all the most important person to make happy is yourself.

When I asked Amy what she thought the connection between looking good and mental health was this is what she said:
“It's not "looking" good that matters to me - its feeling good- and putting in a daily effort to look good can have positive benefits on a person’s mental Health - it gets them to take time to themselves daily an discover what they feel are their best features. Enhancing them with something as simple as makeup gives many a new leases of confidence in themselves. That’s what my channel is about”

Comments

K said…
This is really lovely Siobhan!

Popular posts from this blog

A prisoner of my own mind

An unexpected week

Shame